Answered By: Alexandra Marshall
Last Updated: Feb 02, 2024     Views: 56

When requesting items that are not available in Library Search, you may see two request options. If you are unsure whether to submit a Document Supply request or a Book Purchase request, please see the following guidance: 

Document Supply / Inter Library Loan 

If you request an Inter Library Loan, we will try to obtain the item you need from another library. You can request books, book chapters, articles, and theses via the Document Supply service. Inter Library Loans should be used for non-commercial research or personal study.

Chapters and articles are supplied digitally and sent to your university email. You can keep these copies for your own personal use. 

Books must be collected from the Information Hub and are issued to your library account for the loan period specified by the lending institution.  

To check whether you are eligible for Inter Library Loans, please see Who can request Inter Library Loans

Staff book purchase 

Members of staff and postgraduate researchers may also submit requests for the library to purchase books for the library collection. This service should be used to request books for personal research. If you need to consult a book for your research, but you don't think it needs adding to the library collection, please submit a Document Supply request.

We have an e-first policy, so, where possible, we will purchase eBooks. If you would prefer us to order a print book, please let us know in the comments section of the Book Purchase request form.  

Books for teaching 

If you are a member of staff and would like to purchase a book for teaching, please add the item to a Reading and Resources list and submit the list for review. More information about how to do this can be found in our Reading and Resources help.