Answered By: Hayley Chevell Last Updated: May 31, 2018 Views: 203
If the book you require is marked as 'item in place' on the catalogue but you cannot find it on the shelves, speak to a member of Library staff who will help you look for it.
However, it is always worth bearing in mind the following:
- Are you sure that you have the correct details, such as Shelf Mark or location?
- Check back a little later, someone might be using the book in the Library. The book will show as 'in place' until it is physically checked out by another Library User.
- If an item is already listed on the catalogue as 'missing' then see the book I want is listed as Missing
As well as material classified within the Dewey Decimal System, you will come across other sequences within the Library, they may have one of the following prefixes:
- AA-AY : Transport History - Yellow Zone, Floor 3
- D : Economic History - Yellow Zone, Floor 3
- F FF : Oversize books - Yellow Zones, Floors 1 2 3
- M.A : Maths Association Books - Blue Zone, Floor 1 - separate sequence located at the end of Dewey Shelf Mark 519. Dewey Shelf Marks 520 - 599 are located in the Yellow Zone, Floor 2
- PER : Print Journals - Basement - please note that Law Journals (PER 340) are located Blue Zone, Floor 2
- R1 - RQT : Education Resources - Yellow Zone, Floor 1
Our website also has lots of information to help you find things in the University Library.
If you are still unable to locate a item in the library after a couple of searches, speak to a member of Library staff who will fill out a Searches Card for you. They will take your details and conduct further searches in the library for the missing item.
If the missing item is one of multiple copies, we will place a hold on another copy for you if it is not found after the first search.
If the item is a single copy where there are no others to place a hold on, we will email you after the second search to see if you still require it. If you let us know that you do, we will then look into purchasing a replacement. Please note that this may not be possible if the book is no longer in print or unavailable to order.